Saturday Science Sessions
Saturday Science Sessions allows young nature enthusiasts, eager environmental activists, and curious ecology discoverers to explore the diversity of our local island through 3 different camps! Each week includes outdoor exploration, arts and crafts, and environmental lessons.
Age: 5-17 years old (Age Specifications are recommendations, however, participants may register for any camp). Fee: $30 /Session Time: Saturday, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM Sign-in/out: Please check in/out with a SPI Sessions Staff member when you arrive/leave. Location: The Native Plant Center (2000 Gulf Blvd.) Ratio: 5:1 Instructor/Student Ratio
Activities: Art projects, Science lessons, interactive wildlife games, butterfly monitoring, recycle art constructing, Bring: We will provide snacks, water, and a reusable water bottle. Please bring a completed waiver the first day of every camp and sunscreen. It is your choice whether or not to bring a lunch. Wear: Wear comfortable clothing that you don’t mind paint or dirt on! Closed toe shoes are preferable! Swim: We will not be doing any swimming!
Micro-Plastics, Campaign Building, Recycling, Art Camp
Did you know we throw away enough plastic to circle the Earth 4x? Together, we can be a part of the change! While we incorporate the facts, our Gulf Guardians will be a part of stunning recyclable art projects, and stewards of a local mission for change.
Activities May include:
– Art and Recycling: Recycled Plastic Sculptures
– Critical Thinking and Solution Based Team Work
The UNLITTER Team, The Happy Band, Surfrider Foundation
The Native Plant Tribe
Native Plants, Trees, Butterflies, Composting
Did you know Butterflies live for only 6-8 weeks? Millions of Butterflies migrate through South Texas feeding on many of our local plants and native flowers! We have so much to discover at the Native Plant Center: Dissect a flower, plant a seed, create art from nature, discover their natural habitat and more!
Activities May include:
Butterfly Monitoring: Life Cycle/Tracking/Migration
Mangrove Trees: Our Hero Plant
Milkweed: Planting Butterfly food
Beach Ecology, Shelling, Beach Habitats, Oceanography
What shell is sometimes called a sea cookie, snapper biscuit and pansy shell? Give up? A Sand Dollar! Learn about our amazing beach ecology and eco-systems that live on our coast through: mini-adventures, art in nature projects and help design our sand maze for the crab races!
Activities and Lessons include:
Art and Nature: T-shirt Fish Printing, Leaf Printing, Shell Design
RESOURCES /SPECIAL GUESTS:
Saturday Science Sessions is offering children ages (5- 17) a creative and hands-on science experience on South Padre Island. SSS has utilized activities from such established science programs as: Project Learning Tree, Project WILD, Project WILD-Aquatic, SUPKids to create a unique learning opportunity through interactive and hands on science activities.
Session 1 June 23 (Gulf Guardians)
Session 2 June 30 (Beach Buddies)
Session 3 July 7 (Native Plant Tribe)
Session 4 July 14 (Gulf Guardians)
Session 5 July 21 (Beach Buddies)
Session 6 July 28 (Native Plant Tribe)
Session 7 Aug. 4 (Gulf Guardians)
Session 8 Aug.11 (Native Plant Tribe)
Overview of Online Registration www.spisessions.com/booking
1. Go to the SPI Sessions website: www.spisessions.com and navigate to the BOOKING tab.
2. Browse the camp listings and the according content pages that will have all additional information.
3. Register for your desired camp(s). Participants may be registered for as many camps sessions as they’d like. Please keep in mind some of our classes do have age suggestions. If you would like to register your child for a class that is out of their age group, please inquire at 956-455-5238, so we may discuss.
4. Pay in full or make a deposit with a credit card. A 20% deposit per session will secure a place until a week prior to the first day. If you fail to pay the remaining balance, you will lose your deposit and forfeit your child’s place in that session to another child on the waiting list. You are encouraged to make full payment at registration to avoid missing deadlines and losing your child’s place in camp. Full payment is the responsibility of the participant.
5. Your receipt will be sent to the email address you provided on your account information along with a summer camp packet. Please check your spam folder.
6. Should you need to cancel your camp, contact SPI Sessions to make the request. Please review the program registration policies regarding refunds, and transfers. Visit www.spisessions.com/registration for more details.
Check out pictures from last years Surf.Sup.Science Summer Sessions on our Facebook page.